Mount Holly

United Methodist Church

Rock Hill, S.C

"Our vision is to win souls to Christ and to provide for the ongoing spiritual needs of the individual, family, church and community"

 

 

 

 

 

 

Home
History
Staff & Leaders
News
Calendar
Youth/Children
Adults/Seniors
COAP
CSSC
Photo Gallery
Links

 

Brief History of

Mount Holly United Methodist Church

 

1844

One and three-fourths acres purchased from Samuel G. Westbrook and J. W. McElwee, Jr. for $5. Log church built at site of original parsonage. Church was named Shiloh Church.

1869

Received five acres of land as a gift from James M. Henkel.

1884

Thirty by forty foot wooden sanctuary constructed on present church site. Name changed to Mount Holly Methodist Episcopal, South. One acre of land was purchased from J. N. McElwee for $1. Rev. J.B. Traywick, Pastor (1883-1886)

1886

Rev. John Kilgo, Pastor (1886-1888). He later became president of Duke University.

1923

Mount Holly Missionary Society organized. Rev. T. L. Bryson, Pastor. (1923-1927)

1925

Present sanctuary erected at cost of $17,000.

1927

Rev. J. A. Barrett, Pastor (1927-1931).

1943

Rev. John T. Frazier, Pastor (1943-1947).

1944

Debt on building paid off.

1949

Three and one-half acres purchased from estate of John T. Roddey, Sr. for $1.

1951

Rev. Henry J. Bennett, Pastor (1951-1952)

1952

Rev. Charles Crenshaw, Pastor (1952-1957).

1953

Mount Holly made a Station Church. Built six room parsonage at cost of $10,000. Tract of land purchased from Marshall L. Roddey for $1. Rev. William C. Reid, "Son of Mount Holly" ordained a minister in S.C. Annual Conference.